The Crystal Palace Racetrack
Race-cars, motorbikes and saloons - over the years, Crystal Palace had them all
sad but understandable
ending to a great tradition
Palace racing first started in 1927 when motorcycles raced around the pathways
of the Park. In 1953, the Crystal Palace Circuit was opened for motor racing
and, until 1973, was used by such greats as Stirling Moss, Jack Brabham and many
1997-2000, once a year, part of the track was re-opened for a two-day 'sprint'
meet organised by the Sevenoaks and District Motor Club. The event attracted
entries from all over the country and was invariably over-subscribed, resulting
in 'special interest' cars be given priority. On two occasions, the one-off
Courier-Cadillac was one such entrant, gaining much spectator interest and
Parts of the track are still clearly visible but, due to the close proximity of residential areas, the sound of highly-tuned exhausts would seem to have fallen silent for the last time.